Articles on this Page
- 03/14/11--08:00: _Saturday Night Live...
- 03/14/11--09:00: _Moscow Cat Circus a...
- 03/14/11--09:30: _On the Wonder of th...
- 03/14/11--10:03: _UCLA Student Teache...
- 03/14/11--11:00: _Perhaps Our Parents...
- 03/14/11--11:38: _A Hedgehog Reviews ...
- 03/14/11--11:55: _Kentucky’s Place in...
- 03/14/11--13:00: _David Foster Wallac...
- 03/14/11--13:55: _What is the HTML fo...
- 03/14/11--14:41: _And Now It Is Time ...
- 03/14/11--06:30: _Meet Today’s Guest ...
- 03/14/11--07:00: _Das Unheimliche
- 03/14/11--07:34: _Happy Pi Day
- 03/14/11--08:00: Saturday Night Live Open Thread
- 03/14/11--09:00: Moscow Cat Circus as Metaphor for Life
- 03/14/11--09:30: On the Wonder of the Electric Guitar and The World’s Best Guitarist
- 03/14/11--10:03: UCLA Student Teaches the World About Manners
- 03/14/11--11:00: Perhaps Our Parents Just Want Us Dead
- 03/14/11--11:38: A Hedgehog Reviews Battle: Los Angeles
- 03/14/11--11:55: Kentucky’s Place in the History of Hip Hop
- 03/14/11--13:00: David Foster Wallace Interview Outtakes
- 03/14/11--13:55: What is the HTML for “Vomit”?: A Review of Battle: Los Angeles
- 03/14/11--14:41: And Now It Is Time To Rest
- 03/14/11--06:30: Meet Today’s Guest Blogger: Mans
- 03/14/11--07:00: Das Unheimliche
- 03/14/11--07:34: Happy Pi Day
I. Prehistory: When I was in middle school, everyone watched Saturday Night Live. Or, everyone with a television did. There were certainly students in my school whose families couldn’t afford one. They were usually the kids who got teased the most. I didn’t get to watch it but that was because my parents wouldn’t let [...]
Some days it feels like life is nothing more than two thin rods balanced on the shoulders of young women and we are crawling along those rods on our hands while a Russian clown grabs our legs and laughs at us. I’m not the only one who feels this way, right?
For Christmas, 1989, my mother gave me an electric guitar. The sound it made was profound in ways that my 14 year-old self could not express, which is surprising considering the reputation for eloquence that Kentucians have. A few months later someone explained to me that the strings were to be tuned to specific pitches. [...]
Look, I’m not a racist, but white people really need to learn some manners. (Thanks for the tip Huckabeast and Werttrew)
I often think about how my father didn’t take much time out to play with me. Sure, he let me touch a skeleton once and he would take me down to the train station to throw rocks at the boxcars, but other than that he was a pretty busy man and kept to himself. My [...]
Here is a hedgehog’s review of Battle: Los Angeles. My review of the film will be up later in the day, but I have to say, I agree with many of the points that she makes.
Hip hop was invented in 1791 by Col. James Harrod, founder of the Fort Harrod settlement in what is now Mercer County, Kentucky. One evening, Col. Harrod took a bite of some stew that was not to his liking. He turned to spit it out on the floor, but rather than spitting stew, he found [...]
I read Infinite Jest over Christmas break after my first semester of law school. Actually, I started during finals and it is reflected on my transcript. I read the bulk of the book on a treadmill in a basement, running nowhere. I lost no weight, I got no healthier, but I was happier. For all [...]
1. Introduction: From nearly the moment the theater darkened, I realized that a movie about the complete destruction of a city on the Pacific Ocean was maybe not what I was in the mood for and that I had very likely made a terrible mistake. SPOILERS AWAIT YOU! 2. Setting: I stood in line at [...]
The idea of living in a haunted house appeals to me. I like the idea that my home, the boring bricks and warped windows that each day don’t seem to add up to anything special, might harbor a secret past, a secret life, some slumbering memory that is beyond me. Unfortunately, no house I’ve ever [...]
A long time ago, in central Kentucky, a young woman and a young man had sex and then some months after that, I was born. I had a full head of hair, parted on the left, and the nurses liked to hold me and comb it for hours. It is my understanding that I didn’t […]
When I was a young boy, a Spider-Man poster hung on my closet door for a short time. My parents ended up having to take it down because it scared me, and by scared, I mean I stood on my bed for hours screaming “DEAR CHRIST! THIS GREAT RED BEAST IS TRYING TO DEVOUR ME […]
Have I ever mentioned that I know all of the digits of Pi? They are 3.141…(coughs rest of digits into hand nonchalantly). Oh look, a pie!